Save The Planet And Win €500,000
Deadline: 29 July 2011
The Postcode Lottery Green Challenge is for people who can instigate change – creative, innovative thought leaders and their organisations. We’re looking for products and services that contribute to an eco-friendly lifestyle, directly reduce greenhouse gas emissions and score highly on convenience, quality and design. Find out more
EUROPEAN YEAR OF VOLUNTEERING IN FINLAND!
The year 2011 is the European Year of Volunteering. It is a theme year designated by the European Union that is to be implemented in all EU member states.
In Finland, the Year of Volunteering is coordinated by the Advisory Board on Civil Society Policy (KANE) and by the Finnish Youth Co-operation - Allianssi. Furthermore, voluntary organisations and other bodies with related activities are actively involved in the realisation of the theme year. Organisations are also encouraged to link their own activities and events to the European Year of Volunteering. The patron of the year in Finland is the President of the Republic, Tarja Halonen.
The main objectives of the Year of Volunteering in Finland are the following:
- Strengthening the prerequisites, removing the burdens, and increasing the appreciation of the voluntary and organisational activities.
- Strengthening the attractiveness of the voluntary and organisational activities; increasing the amount of volunteers and voluntary activities.
- Thanking the volunteers; the volunteers themselves will be conscious of the value of the voluntary activities.
- Emphasising the voluntary activities as a way to learn; increasing the appreciation of the things learnt in the voluntary activities.
The Year of Volunteering, in Finland, is primarily a communicational project. The objective is to raise the awareness of voluntary activities during the year through communications and campaigns. The communication is focused on three main target groups: general public, work communities, and educational institutions.
During the theme year, a challenge campaign will be carried out with the purpose of increasing the awareness of the different forms of volunteer activities and to attract new people to join the activities. A public challenge will be announced, encouraging people to commit to a number of hours for volunteering in 2011. The campaign will be supported by the ambassadors of the Year of Volunteering.
The European Year of Volunteering will be present at the following events:
- 3 December 2010: Seminar on Volunteering
- 10 March 2011: Opening of the challenge campaign
- 28-29 May 2011: World Village Festival
- 12 July 2011: SuomiAreena Festival
- 15-17 September 2011: The tour of the Commission
- 15 September 2011: International democracy day
- 7 December 2011: Seminar on Volunteering and closing of the theme year
In addition to these events, local and national voluntary organisations are very welcome to create their own events connected to the Year of Volunteering.
More information in Finnish: www.tuntitili.fi
More information in English (European Commission): http://europa.eu/volunteering/
For further information on the Year of Volunteering in Finland, please contact the national coordinator Karoliina Tikka (karoliina.tikka(a)alli.fi).